Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Hot Exciting Nights!

The small people in our home are finally asleep.  One child in particular has decided sleep is something they've done plenty of in life and see no reason to mess with it each night.  It's quite darling.

We stumble into our room and had the most exciting, connecting conversation as we prepared for bed.

Husband: I thought about stopping at Redbox on my way home tonight.
Me: Why? Were you wanting to make a donation?
Husband: Yeah, I didn't stop. I laughed. 

I flop onto my side of the bed. 

Me: Are you reading or do you want me to turn off the light?

Husband: mumbles incoherently... already asleep.

Tis the Season, we aren't unique. Friends liking different articles called "Dear Husband, I miss you" remind me of our isolated solidarity in my social media feed.  There are so many of them! This one is good... and this one! Everyone is worn and tattered from parenthood!)

Another ttwd blogger shared the same weariness here... It's just life right now. But the small people we've been entrusted to raise are thriving, growing, learning so our weird, half-finished conversations aren't totally in vain.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Madeline, I love your last paragraph :) I think we can all relate to these periods in life, with or without children. Life just gets too damn busy, and stressful.

    I hope you are able to find some time to connect soon.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, liked the way you described being "life weary." Children can do that.

    As a teacher for so many years, I remember falling asleep gratefully. I was just so worn out. Twenty-six of the little darlings can make you feel like your gas tank is on "Empty." Thank goodness that 8 hours later, you are back in the race.

    Ella

    ReplyDelete
  3. M,
    I love when you say little people. WE have all been there, right there....... where the best part of the day is that it is finally over and the small people are nestled in their beds.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a child, my parents used to pretend their bed was a giant ship at sea. My sibling and I would cast our fishing lines over the side and go on and on about the magical items we pulled up from the water. It wasn't until I had my own kids and we started playing that game, that I realized it was a survival technique so my parents could lie down and take a break in the middle of the day. It's a good trick! We are all creative and have fond memories of a time when our folks couldn't see straight anymore. ;) Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is so much to be grateful for here, and the fact that you're exhausted from caring for your little people is a definite big one. I think you sound like great parents doing everything that needs doing, including putting yourselves second for a while. May you both get the rest you need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Madeline, :) In the blink of an eye, this period of time will be over. You may look back, and wonder how you got through it all. I know that I do sometimes. With four kids, I was often more than tired at the end of the day. I did seem to find that energy, on days when I needed it most. Sounds like you both do too. Rest up, snuggle with your man when you can, and be proud of all that love that you are giving to your little ones. Sounds like you are doing great! Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete