Sunday, November 19, 2017

Oh, is it nearly December?!

Well this absence is embarrassing. Am I even qualified to post in this universe?

From realizing I’m still up at 2 AM cleaning, starting the morning snapping at my husband, unplanned trips to the store and impulsive, scattered purchases without any discussion let alone permission, things are all out of whack in our house. I remember sometimes “I probably would be in trouble for this, but we are so tired.” It’s not outright defiance as much as survival mode. 

We’ve weathered the school year transition with our children in healthy places. I had a major surgery that I've just now felt like I've recovered from. Naturally, we've slid into not connecting. Healthy, connected relationships don’t just happen. The good stuff takes a lot of time and effort, sometimes we don’t have any margin left for it. It's understandable, as much as we know DD is worth it... it's just not advisable while recovering from surgery and taking pain meds every 4 hours!

I've settled into my grumpy bossy pants. We’ve been processing our stress internally, knowing the other is tired and annoyed with it all too. Spanking would absolutely have not been safe so it’s not a complaint that either of us have been slacking.

But I’ve recovered though and the reckoning is coming. Coming just in time for the holidays where DD is so very, very required!

I've just assumed Dominic knows how flustered and out of control I've felt, how overwhelmed I am just grocery shopping or anxiety over our children’s Thanksgiving outfits. (Absolutely absurd. Did your mothers have you in special outfits for Thanksgiving? Mine never did!) 

All the slip ups aside, our biggest challenge will be getting back into checking in- me going to him and telling him I need am off kilter. Us taking the effort to use a few minutes to reconnect even if it's only a few minutes. It's tempting if we do have an hour to catch up on shows, go to dinner, or do laundry... not focus on our roles.

During the day I'll think how I really miss an intense, round the clock dynamic and the accountability. By night time, I'm not sure what day it is or if I have the energy to brush my teeth though. I do know I've pushed Dominic to the end of his patience with my smart mouth so the reckoning is coming... at least I don't have to sit through Thanksgiving Dinner. The up and down of keeping children fed and happy at family gatherings means I won't sit more than a few minutes anyway! 

9 comments:

  1. Hi Madeline,

    Oh goodness, I hope things calm down a little so that you and Dominic can connect. Glad to hear you have recovered from the surgery.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving Roz! Things have calmed down considerably, glad to be on the other end of it all.

      Delete
  2. Illness and surgery unfortunately usually results in ttwd being put on the shelf. Life feels a bit empty without it. I hope your reckoning is sooner rather than later, Maddie. Then you will really feel like yourself again.

    Have a Happy Thanksgiving,
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Empty is the right way to describe it. Nothing really bad between us, just not feeling like us. Dreading/eagerly anticipating the reckoning!

      Delete
  3. Madeline.

    So glad you have returned despite not feeling yourself and ttwd not front and center right now. We have all been there, believe me. Time and normalcy are your best friends right now. No, wait........ we are your best friends......... ttwd friends. Welcome back! Things will get better.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meredith... I know I'll be on fire soon enough!

      Delete
  4. It’s good to hear you’re on the upswing again, you’ve been missed. With both of you knowing how valuable ttwd is I’m sure it won’t be long before it becomes a priority again. Breathe and carry on, it’s coming, along with that big sigh of relief.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I do remember those days! Hang in there girl. And no matter what, take lots and lots of pictures. One day you and those children will laugh at how perfect those Thanksgiving outfits were at the time... and how absolutely out-of-style and absurd they will be once everyone is off to college. Good times; even with the bumps in the road. Glad you hear you are on the mend.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Madeline, :) I'm guessing that your children will look awesome in their Thanksgiving fare! It's fun to arrange their clothing, and perhaps get that Christmas picture, at Thanksgiving. Before you know it, that effort of dressing them up will be long gone, by the wayside. The special memories and photos will be precious. How I miss those times!

    So sorry to hear that you have been unwell, and dealt with major surgery. I can relate. It's especially hard when the children are young. I hope that you are feeling up to par by now. That too is an adjustment. Be gentle with yourself.

    You know, even when things go awry, it is comforting to know that the other things that make our dynamics special, can still come into play. Those little things- gestures, kindnesses, listening, and all of that, can keep us afloat during these kinds of times. Soon you will be back at it all- and sitting gently as you watch your children enjoying all of the love that you both have given, to make their holidays special! Feel good! Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete